THE HISTORY OF THE LAMA IN SARDINIA
In Sardinia the finding of Nuragic bronzes representing figures of warriors with daggers is to mean that the construction of cutting weapons has very ancient origins. The first cutting weapons were made using animal bones and flint. Later it was used the obsidian of Monte Arci, this material was marketed and used throughout the Mediterranean since the Neolithic. With the mining activity, the first nuragic furnaces were created, which with the use of molds produced the first cutting, working and bronze ornaments that were also spread throughout the Mediterranean. Romans, Phoenicians, Punic and then around 1130-1140 Templars returning from the Crusades in the East imported new techniques and the production of cutting weapons became even more specialized. Leppa de chintu was the most widespread weapon in Sardinia until the end of the nineteenth century. It was a sort of unguarded saber that measured 50/60 cm and was carried on the waist and from there its name. It was used to regulate personal issues. During the First World War, Sassari Brigade troops used it in body-to-body combat. "It will be a devastating battle, three days of clashes with frequent guns in the white weapon, and in these bayonet and leprosy fights, the long-knife knife "The peasant shepherds have their terrors" by Giuseppe Fiori, the Knight of the Roses. During the Spanish and Piedmont colonial governments, heavy restrictions on the production and use of fixed blades were imposed. In 1871, throughout the national law was issued a law prohibiting the knife blade of more than ten centimeters that had locking systems. With the Giolitti decree of 1908 he tried to limit the blade of knife no longer than four centimeters later, followed by six. It was in this historical context that the blacksmiths (sos frailarzos) had the idea of pivoting the blade in the handle so as to use it as a sort of case for a more ease of concealability and transportability of the knife. Thus a knife is born that according to the geographical area of Sardinia takes the name of resolza in the north, lesorja in the young man, surrender to the south of the island. This knife was rapidly spreading as it became an indispensable tool for the daily impulses of shepherds, peasants and miners and for this reason the anthropologist Bachisio Bandinu called him the "extension of the hand." Even miners during lunch breaks were delighted in building their knife that they used not only as a cutting tool but also as laid out to bring food to the mouth. It also became a symbol of manhood, a trusting and trusting friend. In various centers in Sardinia, blacksmiths, in their shops, besides the creation of work tools (scissors to mourn, scum, vandalism, horses and oxen), they specialized, thanks to the strong demand, in the forging of blades by affirming some typologies that soon became tradition. The art of the blacksmith and the knife was an art that passed from father to son.
Type of Sardinian knife
Depending on the area of origin and characteristics, the Sardinian knife can be divided into two types:
- monolithic, with a handle made of a monobloc that is cut for the housing of the blade as in the ancient cranberry, the carrousel and the gushiness;
- animated, that is with the ferrite handle as in the pattades. The cranberry, a fixed knife (the first generation) is rather rustic and simple. The so-called olive leaf blade simply pivoted into a goat's horn or mutton without the aid of a ring to its hanging. This knife, for its constructive simplicity, was often made by the shepherd itself. The shrub, a knife with a "wide leaf" forged blade, can be defined as a pancake. The guspinesa is a serramanic knife present in two models: the first one has a slightly bent knife and a rather curved handle; The second model, known as a spatula, is characterized by truncated blade. It was written in 1908 when, following the law of Giolitti, it was forbidden to carry "no justified reasons" for sharp knifes. In the stack, the handle is made of two horn horns that are juxtaposed between an iron bowl with rivets and blade pivoted by a pin on a brass ring.